Can someone else pay my debt for me?

Can someone else pay my debt for me?

An enforcement agent (bailiff) can accept a payment from a third party on behalf of someone with outstanding debt, but regulations state that this must clearly be a voluntary payment.

In some circumstances, being able to ask parents or family members to pay off a debt is an option. But this should not be expected and not everyone has someone willing or able to assist with outstanding debt. You should also be certain that you wish to make a payment in this way, because you may need to repay it later.

If you are struggling to pay, you should contact the enforcement company immediately to discuss your case. You can also obtain further advice from a local or national advice agency that may be able to contact the company on your behalf. Enforcement companies are not obliged to accept a payment arrangement, and this will be considered after an assessment of your ability to pay. However, there are twice as many payment arrangements than debt cases collected in full, especially for council tax debt.

The enforcement company will be able to make its own checks, but may ask you to submit documentary evidence about your financial circumstances. If you agree on a payment arrangement, it is important that you stick to the arrangement and pay on the agreed date. If you fail to make the payment or pay late, the arrangement will be cancelled, and the full balance will become due. This may result in further enforcement action being taken and an enforcement agent visiting your address which may incur further fees.

All CIVEA members have either a welfare team or a dedicated individual responsible for managing cases where someone is identified as potentially vulnerable. Most people in financial difficulties do not address their situation until it becomes unmanageable, and often, for many reasons, refuse to engage with local authorities despite being given numerous opportunities to do so.

Enforcement agents, who are well-trained and are skilled at identifying vulnerability, they are often the first to visit and spot the signs of people in need of additional support, and refer cases back to the local authority.

0844 893 3922

PO Box 745

For general enquiries only, you can contact us by email (, letter or telephone.

If you have a complaint or concern about one of our members, please go to our complaints page for advice

CIVEA is unable to discuss complaint matters over the telephone and complaints should be sent in writing. This is to ensure that the details of your complaint are accurately recorded and understood which makes it easier in addressing your complaint thoroughly. Please advise if you have a disability, so that we can make reasonable adjustments.

Media Contact

Contact us

You can contact us by email, letter or telephone.